It’s a good idea to include a balanced variety of foods in your toddler’s lunchbox so that they can get all the nutrients they need!
Preparing your toddler’s lunchbox
A balanced packed lunch should contain:
- A starchy food – bread, rice, potatoes, pasta (try choose wholegrain varieties)
- A protein food–meat, fish, eggs, beans
- A dairy food –cheese or yoghurt
- Vegetables & fruit
It is also important that toddlers drink enough during the day, so that they don’t become dehydrated and tired. Drinks should always be included for snack time and lunch. Water and milk are the most suitable drinks for toddlers.
It can be hard to make a lunch that is healthy and that your toddler will eat, here are some tips to make healthy lunches more appealing:
- Select a special shape. If what you’re serving is relatively flat you can cut it with a cutter into a fun shape. This works with sandwiches, cheese slices and pitta.
- Dip is a definite do – Include a small container of hummus or homemade guacamole and watch dippables like veggie strips and whole-grain crackers disappear!